Dressing for a Sunny Winter

I recently got my first reader request for a style post (thanks Margaret- you made my day!) and she asked if I would help explain “Florida Style” since she is moving here from the chilly North! She pointed out that in researching the area she noticed we have a much more relaxed style, and wanted to know how that translated in the warmer winter months. I loved the idea!!

Our style here in the Sunshine State is different from just about anywhere else in the country- and I wouldn’t have it any other way. While I am working on a fun style collaboration with some other blogger friends, I thought today would be perfect for a roundup of some of my favorite winter looks for the sunniest “winter” around!

1) I think I have a new mantra in life, “Aztec is always the answer” (ha!) A cozy tribal sweater on a chilly 50 degree day is the perfect combination. I love pairing these sweaters with my favorite ponte pants and riding boots. It’s got the right weight to keep you warm, while not making you burn up!

View full post and outfit details here

2) When your forecast is a little warmer you don’t need riding boots, so a lightweight sweater, perfect fit pants, and cute flats are your answer for running errands around town or a casual day at the office.

View full post and outfit details here

3) You can easily transition many of your dresses into the fall and winter months by adding tights and boots! There’s not too much to this look, but often this is my go-to style (and one in which I feel the most confident)! Bonus of wearing tights: it works like cheap spanx! hehe!

View full post and outfit details here

4) This all-black look is perfect for a night out or a dressier day at the office. Lightweight long-sleeves and pants are the perfect answer to “what should I wear?” when it comes to a sunny winter!

View full post and outfit details here

5) Y’all, I think I have a serious sweater obsession- I’ve never met one I didn’t like! I love transitioning my summer skirts by tucking in a sweater and layering with tights and boots. (PS- sharing this outfit made me want to pull it out of my closet again, time to break this baby back out!)

View full post and outfit details here

6) This is one of my very favorite looks from last year, and it reminds me that simple is almost always better! I love this sweet sweater and my go-to pearls make this look so very classic.

View full post and outfit details here

7) Have I ever turned down a preppy look or an excursion vest? (The answer is a resounding “no” my friends!) The great thing about this look is the layers- they definitely help ward off the winter chill! If it’s an especially cold day you can easily swap out the flats for boots for additional warmth!

View full post and outfit details here

I feel like this post was a flashback for me… look at all those hair lengths! ha! Hope you enjoyed today’s round-up! And come on down and visit us here in the Sunshine State!

Thanks for stopping by y’all!

Bless Her Heart Y'all

InDuffinitely Me

The Fashion Canvas

Gracefullee Made

post signature

1. November 11, 2014 / 12:27 pm

It's so fun to see all these cute posts! I wondered how cool it got there, lows of 50 would be nice. Snow fell overnight here πŸ˜’

• November 11, 2014 / 12:54 pm

Oh my goodness!! We only hit 20 or 30 once or twice during the seson… but I remember the days of snow- stay warm! πŸ™‚

2. Anonymous
    November 11, 2014 / 1:40 pm

LOVE THIS! Thanks Gentry ~ will be back in town to visit the house in December. I can't wait to see what constitutes "Winter Chill" in my soon-to-be hometown! At least now I have an idea what to pack! XO!
    ~Margaret

• November 12, 2014 / 4:56 pm

So glad you liked this Margaret! You gave me some great inspiration! πŸ™‚ I hope you love it down here as much as I do! πŸ™‚

3. November 11, 2014 / 6:18 pm

Great Florida style! It's so hard to dress here in the south. Florida is much worse than Georgia, as far as weather not matching the season. We have to be creative in styling so we look appropriate, but not miserably hot! Great post!
    Whitney & Blaire

• November 12, 2014 / 4:57 pm

I'm with you Whitney! I'm warm in the morning and burning up in the afternoons in "winter" so being creative is a must! πŸ™‚

4. November 12, 2014 / 4:45 pm

I love all of these outfits, I think you may have convinced me to finally buy those fabulous polka dot pants from Old Navy! Also, your photography is fantastic! Who does it?

Thanks so much for linking up with Tremendous Tuesday!
    Hugs! Amber

• November 12, 2014 / 4:58 pm

HI Amber!

I'm still working on my Twitter but hope to have it up and running soon!

My Aunt does all my photography- she's not a professional but she is pretty fabulous! πŸ™‚

Thanks for visiting! xo

5. November 12, 2014 / 10:09 pm

I love wearing tights, built in spanx for sure! I love all of your outfits, you're just too cute! I feel like we're pretty much style twins, I was scrolling through thinking, 'Oh, I have that too' or 'need that!'. Thanks for sharing, such a great post.

Brooke

• November 13, 2014 / 2:09 am

Glad I'm not the only one using that trick! πŸ™‚

And SO happy to have found a style-twin!! xxoo

6. November 12, 2014 / 10:50 pm

GIRL! I love your style! I am going to have to go back to each of these posts! Love your christmas front door!! Thanks for joining the Celebrate Southern Linkup this week! I am pinning this great post to our official board now! Cheers!

• November 13, 2014 / 2:10 am

Woo-hoo!! Thanks for all your sweet words!! xoxo

7. November 16, 2014 / 2:52 pm

You are so stinking cute! I agree with all of your tips! I'm in Atlanta, so not quite such mild winters, but I really like revamping my dresses with tights, and strutting sweaters with flats… just like you did here. Great tips for new Floridians! Thanks for joining Celebrate Southern link up this week! xoxo