The Thing I’ve Never Done for 30 Days…

Dress: Old Navy || Heels: Target (under $30!) || Clutch: Nordstrom (shop more pom pom clutches here) || Apple Watch with this band || Earrings: c/o Lisi Lerch

If you happened to catch my New Year’s Resolutions post (if not read it here) than you may recall that one of my goals for the year was to let go of the need to “keep up with the Joneses.” This seemed to resonate with a lot of y’all as well, who commented or messaged me that you too feel the pressure to buy “all the things” and that somehow if you don’t you won’t fit in.

Unfortunately, I haven’t done the best job of sticking to this resolution- and I’ve definitely given into the urge/temptation to buy far too often! But when I hit 30 earlier this month, I have really been evaluating what’s important to me- and top of my list is financial peace so that I can do some of the things I really want to do- like buy a house & travel more. So that leads me to where we are today…

Y’all I’m NOT GOING TO SHOP FOR 30 DAYS! (I know, I kind of can’t believe it either).

As the title of this post indicates, this isn’t something that I’ve ever been able to do before. Truth be told, I’m not sure I’ve ever made it a week without ordering a new top, or dress, or shoes… you get the point! But I can’t keep living this endless cycle of accumulating “stuff;” I’m craving some simplification in my life & to feel a financial peace that I haven’t felt in a very long time. So I hope that taking a breather from shopping this month (for clothes/accessories/shoes) will allow me to jumpstart the path of saving more and spending less.

So what does this mean for you and the blog? Well obviously y’all are still going to be getting TONS of new content this month! Luckily I shopped plenty before deciding to go on this hiatus so I still have so many new things to share! But I am also hoping that this challenges me to get back in my closet and rework/remix pieces to create new looks. I’m really the worst about buying something, wearing it once, and then shoving it in my closet where it hangs for all eternity (not kidding). But I have so many beautiful pieces that I want to bring back out and enjoy wearing! Also, I do have some fun brand collaborations that I’m working on this month- so keep you eye out for those too!

I love sharing this space with y’all and I’m really excited to have you hold me accountable for the nexr 29 days!

I’d love to hear if a “no spend month” is something you’ve done! If so, please leave me your tips/tricks/survival skills below- I’f love to hear from you!

1. April 2, 2018 / 7:10 am

Going on a shopping freeze is so hard, especially as a blogger. But it’s such a great feeling to do and to let go of that part for a little bit. I didn’t realize how much I shopped or looked at stuff online until about a week ago. My goal is to just not want all the things all at once! You look adorable and good luck!

Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire

April 2, 2018 / 10:05 am

It’s definitely even more pressure as a blogger- but I know how proud I’ll feel if I make it a whole month!

2. Kelly Roll
    April 2, 2018 / 9:15 am

This is going to be super hard but so worth it! I am very proud of you.

April 2, 2018 / 10:05 am

Thank you so much for your support!

3. April 2, 2018 / 10:25 am

This is a great idea! I’m sure you’ll do great. I’m the absolute worst, too, at wearing something once and then shoving it into my closet. I really need to take your advice and simply as well! Good luck!!

Xo,

Kristyn

April 2, 2018 / 10:38 am

Thank you SO much for your encouragement!! I’m nervous but excited for the challenge!

4. April 2, 2018 / 11:42 am

Good luck with your challenge! I really like the idea of seeing how you’ll remix pieces you already have this month 🙂

Meg, Borrowed Heaven

April 2, 2018 / 12:47 pm

I’m glad you’re excited! I hope that this inspires me to be more creative!

5. April 2, 2018 / 12:44 pm

I am excited to see what you come up with! I did this about a month ago! Saving money felt so good!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    Stylin In St. Louis

April 2, 2018 / 12:46 pm

That makes me feel so encouraged!! Yay thank you Jacqueline!

6. Allie
    April 2, 2018 / 2:46 pm

You can do it, I promise! I love shopping but found myself shopping more and more when I had a bad day because something new and pretty made me feel better. (Of course, it was just temporary, and then I felt guilty for spending money!) When I got engaged a few years ago, having the goal of paying for our wedding helped me put things in perspective and cut back on shopping. My husband and I have the same financial goals as you (buying a house and traveling more); ever since we paid for our wedding, I find myself being much more thoughtful and intentional about my purchases. I still love to shop, but I am careful to think about it before purchasing and to think about why I want the item. Do I really need another dress or do I want to feel better about a stressful day? If it’s the latter, I know I can go for a run or spend time with my husband or dog or a friend or paint my nails or do something else that makes me happy – and then if I still want my pretty new thing, then maybe I can justify it! Keep the big picture in mind, shop your closet (and clean it out in the process – I love consigning or reselling pieces I don’t wear and putting that towards savings), and don’t beat yourself up if you make a mistake! You’ve got this!

April 3, 2018 / 2:07 pm

Allie- THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and encouraging comment!! It makes me feel so much better knowing that you’ve done it and that keeping the big picture in mind is so important! Can’t thank you enough!! XOXO

7. April 2, 2018 / 3:44 pm

Love this look so much!! Good luck with the no shopping for a month – I always try to do this each January and it’s kind of refreshing to just avoid the stores and sites!

April 3, 2018 / 2:05 pm

This is my favorite time of the year- so it’s taking extra willpower to hold myself back!

8. Biana
    April 2, 2018 / 5:29 pm

I definitely think you’ll be able to achieve your goal!! You’ll get to shop your closet! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

April 3, 2018 / 2:05 pm

That’s definitely what I’m hoping to do more of!

9. April 2, 2018 / 7:10 pm

girl, I am with you-but it’s really hard! however worth it I feel to declutter & save!-Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

good luck!!

10. April 2, 2018 / 8:13 pm

Good luck girlie, you’ve got this! I really need to channel your goal of not trying to keep up with the Joneses, I definitely do not even come close to spending as much as a lot of other bloggers, but it’s SO hard not to want all the things <3
    Green Fashionista

April 3, 2018 / 2:04 pm

I can only imagine what “big” bloggers ring in at- but I have to learn to be comfortable and confident where I am at 🙂

11. April 3, 2018 / 9:39 am

It helped me by unsubscribing to the stores (or unfollow blogs and instagrams that are tempting) that would send me fun sale emails that would make me dream of shopping.

You can do this! I recently have started doing the capsule challenges from Putting Me Together’s blog and it has helped me see how I can remix so many pieces and pare down my closet.

April 3, 2018 / 2:08 pm

That is definitely something I’m doing (unsubscribing) – because if I don’t know about it then I’m not nearly as tempted!

12. April 3, 2018 / 10:51 am

You can do it! I’ve done two no-shopping months so far this year, and I recently did a post with my tips. It really helped me realize how many times I impulsively buy something that I don’t really need. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with using pieces that are already in your closet!

Kristin
    stripesandsangria.blogspot.com

April 3, 2018 / 2:08 pm

Your tips were super helpful! I’m definitely keeping them all in mind 🙂

13. the cape on the corner
    April 3, 2018 / 12:31 pm

i LOVE this shirtdress on you. i am all for not spending, and finding new ways to wear what i already have. ready for some inspiration!
    b

April 3, 2018 / 2:08 pm

YAY! I’m ready to be inspired!

14. April 3, 2018 / 3:49 pm

It is a BRILLIANT thing that you are doing! I have a TINY wardrobe and it really is possible. It is lovely to buy new things and experiment with different looks – there is nothing better to build your confidence than a bright shiny new look, but we really don’t need that many clothes and it is easier sometimes to have less choices. Looking forward to seeing your creative wardrobe looks!

April 12, 2018 / 6:47 am

Thank you for the encouragement! I’m slowly learning that while I like having a new, big closet I do not NEED it in any way! Excited to be sharing this with all of y’all!

15. April 4, 2018 / 1:52 pm

I need to do this too! We’re heading on vacation next month, so I need to save for all the shopping and fun things then. Can we just subtract the $$ spent at Bath & Body Works yesterday and start fresh today? LOL!

April 12, 2018 / 6:52 am

I feel you! Having a goal of saving helps make it easier to not spend today!

16. April 6, 2018 / 11:53 am

You go girl! I do no shop months from time to time and it really is enlightening to see how often I just go online to buy something impulsively! I want to be better about saving my money, too — so maybe I should join you on this challenge! Good luck, friend!

April 12, 2018 / 6:45 am

Thus has definitely not been easy, but I’m learning a lot. Thinking that I should extend it another month! I’ve got more to figure out 🙂

17. April 7, 2018 / 1:35 am

Wow, I don’t think I have ever done that. But that’s actually quite a good idea dear. I might try that one of these days, thank you for sharing! Anyway, I love your cute pompom clutch!

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

April 10, 2018 / 9:18 am

It’s going to be a challenge- that’s for sure! But it’s already teaching me so much!

18. April 9, 2018 / 8:30 am

You can do this! OK I’m old enough to be your mom but let me tell you how important it is not to spend all the time at your age. You can buy a house and all those big things but some little things have to go. I love reading your blog and others too for the cute outfit ideas but I appreciate remixing almost more than new things.

April 12, 2018 / 6:59 am

Thank you Stacey! You are such a good encourager and I’m excited to get my finances in order and on track!

19. I’ve done this once and it was incredibly hard! I think I slipped once, only because it was something I had my eye on forever and it was on major sale. I haven’t done one in a while, but I’ve put myself on a budget that it’s more of a need than want with recent purchases. Good Luck!

April 12, 2018 / 6:58 am

Thank you!! It’s not been easy (so much temptation!) but I’m learning a lot!