Happy Hour Vol. 6 (& a Little Life Lately!)

source unknown

Happy Friday y’all! It feels like this week dragged on & there was so much squeezed into every single day that I am utterly exhausted! Since I was in St Simons last Friday Monday was a day devoted to catching up with everything I’ve missed and that just started the week off on a busy note and then it spiraled from there. The great news is that the weekend is here and I couldn’t be more excited about that!! 🙂

I’m really excited to share today’s “Happy Hour” post with y’all because while it still contains all the fun you’ve come to know from these posts I’m also going to be getting a little more personal and sharing a big piece of my heart with you in the “Happy Updates”- so let’s get to it shall we?!

HAPPY UPDATES

{What the heck I’ve been up to lately}

WORK: oh boy y’all, work has definitely had it’s fair share of surprises lately! In January of this year I was buying 2 of my companies jewelry brands, and since they were both poised for big growth this year it kept me super busy. Well flash forward six months later and I am buying SIX big, growing, busy brands! Yep, you did the math right… that’s triple the workload! Add on to that the fact that my assistant has left the company and you’ve got a one woman show over here. However, I am so grateful for this opportunity because I am hoping it gives me the chance to shine & show what I can really do (and how I can keep my cool under pressure!) So all in all, this is a huge opportunity for me to have serious professional growth & be able to leave my influence on six amazing brands!

TRAVEL: You probably can’t miss the fact that I have been ON THE GO this month! Starting May 31st I was in Vegas for the JCK jewelry show, then the next weekend I was in NYC for my bestie Jen’s 30th birthday, and just last weekend I was in St Simons for my college girl’s trip! It has been non-stop in my life and although I thrive in chaos I can’t help but be so thankful for a two week rest before it’s wheels up again! I’m planning in-depth posts about NYC and St Simons so stay tuned for those travel diaries in the next few weeks! Any thing specific you would want to see?

HEALTH: So I really hesitated about sharing this, because the last thing I wanted is for someone to think I’m seeking sympathy or the pity card, but I decided that it was more important to share it and ultimately hope to help support other women who may be battling this. So long story short, three weeks ago I had (what me and my mom can only figure it was) a panic attack. I was at happy hour with a girlfriend, chatting about work wins & stresses and all of a sudden I couldn’t breathe or think straight. The whole room went mute around me and I broke out in a crazy sweat all over my body. I’m so thankful that it passed in about 5 minutes and I chalked it up to a fluke. But then, on my girl’s trip last weekend I was stressing a little before dinner one night, and literally the minute I finished eating… it all came back up (there’s no lady like way to say it!) And y’all I have a stomach of steel so this is not normal behavior for me in the slightest! So I guess I wanted to share in hopes that if any of you have experience with panic attacks or anxiety you could share some coping methods or things that have helped you to stay healthy?? I’ve always thrived in stress and being “go go go” so this is super unnerving for me and I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to keep my physical body healthy and battling this!

BLOG “WINS”: Let’s end this “life lately” with a positive shall we? I just wrapped up a big campaign with Ketel One Botanical and I am just so excited by how it all came together! I was able to have two my sweet friends involved in the shoot with me and the darling & talented Briana Anderson was the woman behind the camera. You can catch some of the photos on Instagram but I’ll be sharing a full blog post about the “drink of the summer” next week!

HAPPY FINDS

{This & that I’ve found and am loving}

Pink Flounce Swing Dress– have you ever seen a dress more perfectly “Girl Meets Bow?!” There is no denying that this MUST be mine!

Yellow “With a Twist” Tee– the quintessential summertime tee. Tuck it into denim shorts or a gingham skirt for the cutest outfit at brunch!

Pink Scalloped Skirt– let’s keep the pink theme going this week! These are my favorite skirts for work and play, and this new color and scallop detail have me needing more in my closet asap!

Bouquet Tie Waist Jumpsuit– Crushing hard on this feminine print & ruffle collar detail! Love!

HAPPY PLANS

{What I’m up to this week/weekend}

As I mentioned above, I’m super happy that I have a 2 week reprieve from my travels to just be home and catch up on life. I’m headed out boating Saturday with a few friends and I think Trish and I might try to squeeze in a workout before we head out to the sandbar! Sunday it’s back to volunteering at church with my little ones (Which I can’t wait for!) and then I’m shooting with a new local photographer! Wrapping the night with a Patrick Brett Foundation Happy Hour 🙂 Can’t wait!

HAPPY SALES

{Because what’s happy hour without a few sales?!}

Loft: 40% off everything with code “HBDUSA”

J. Crew Factory: 50% off everything + 50-70% off “All star deals”

J. Crew: 50% off “all star” pics + cardmembers get an extra 20% off with code “CARDPERKS”

Old Navy– entire store on sale up to 60% off! Plus, earn super cash with your purchase!

{SHOP THE HH FAVORITES}

1. June 29, 2018 / 7:22 am

Love this style of post! Hope your anxiety attacks get better, that doesn’t sound like much fun at all!
    xoxo

June 30, 2018 / 6:54 am

Thank you so much Marianna! I appreciate the well wishes!

2. June 29, 2018 / 10:55 am

You have so much going on girl! I’m so sorry you had 2 bad incidents with anxiety. It does indeed sound like a panic attack. I’ve had a few…and it’s so scary! My only tip is so eliminate what you can from your plate. Exercise helps a lot, which I think you do! The only thing that every really worked for me was simplifying. I am prone to anxious and obsessive thoughts, so I really feel for you!
    The worst part is when you feel anxious, and then feeling anxious makes you more anxious because you are scared of a panic attack. =/ I know there are a lot of breathing exercises and a lot of people claim meditation helps, but I’ve never tried that. I will be thinking about you!
    I am interested in St Simons, so please share!

June 30, 2018 / 7:02 am

Kristen, thank you so much for the advice. I have definitely been giving more thought to simplifying and trying to see how I can take a few things off my plate. I’m so sorry you have suffered from panic attacks too but it is comforting to know that I am not alone!

On a bright note I can’t wait to share my St Simons guide with you!

3. June 29, 2018 / 11:06 am

I so appreciate you sharing that health section! I had a major panic attack in the spring. I realized after the fact that I’d had others on a smaller scale in the past, but that one left me having trouble breathing, thinking clearly, speaking, etc.. It was so upsetting that I knew I needed to do something right away as I couldn’t bare the thought of dealing with one like that again. I immediately ordered a book written by Ray Comfort whose ministry I’ve benefited from tremendously over the years. I also had the pleasure of bumping into in person during a vacation in California a few years back. What a genuine man with a heart for the Lord! He, too, dealt with panic attacks and wrote a book called “Overcoming Panic Attacks”. The cover reads, “Practical, biblically based help for those who suffer from panic attacks and irrational fears.” You can find it on Amazon Prime for under $5! I’m still reading through it, but would definitely recommend it! The insights I gained from what I’ve read so far have already been super helpful! I also battle anxiety and have been reading “Stressed Out: A Practical, Biblical Approach to Anxiety” by Todd Friel (also available on Amazon) and have found it to be helpful as well! If you decide to pick up either of those I truly hope you’ll find them as beneficial as I have! Loving all the happy in this post and appreciate your transparency too! Thankful to have the opportunity to share some biblical help I’ve found in those areas that I too have needed it, and to know how best to pray for you, friend! xoxo! Brenda // ChattingOverChocolate.com

June 30, 2018 / 7:14 am

Brenda, you simply made my heart swell with how kind your note was! Both of the books you recommended sound wonderful and I love that they are biblically based! I’m looking forward to reading them! I am so thankful I opened up about this- it’s amazing to hear from many ladies who have suffered from this too & know that we are not alone. What a blessing to have your prayers!! Thank you so much!

4. June 29, 2018 / 11:26 am

Hey I read the first part of your post and thought ‘this girl is gonna crash’ – seriously, your body’s reaction is it saying you need to slow down, de-schedule, take some holidays, sleep, do nothing. I don’t think we have the same ‘go go go’ culture here in Europe, we don’t get up so early or work so hard – none of that stuff without serious R&R in between is what your body needs. I don’t want to sound like a preachy older sister here!! 🙂 We all get like this when we enjoy what we do, love being busy – happened to me all the time (not panic attacks but crashing and burning, or some stress induced health issue) – key thing is not to ignore it. Take Care Gentry – say no more!! J xx

June 30, 2018 / 7:20 am

It’s amazing how others can recognize the signs of crashing before you do! Since I’m the big sister it’s nice to have you playing the “big sister” role for me 🙂 I always appreciate your advice! Xo

5. Even though we think we’re handling stress, okay our bodies can tell the difference! It’s crazy, and I hope you’re doing better. I can’t wait to see your NYC post!

June 30, 2018 / 7:10 am

It is crazy how our body basically yells at us to slow down! Now I’ve got to listen!

6. June 29, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Love all those outfits!

I’m so sorry that you’ve been experiencing panic attacks. I get them regularly plus severe anxiety. One thing that I swear by is guided meditation. It feels really silly at first but I practice it now every morning + an hour before an event that I know might make me seem a little stressed (when I can). If this doesn’t help, it’s never a bad idea to mention it to your doctor. I have a medication that I take whenever I feel a panic attack coming on and it makes me feel much more relaxed within 5-10 minutes. It’s never weakness to admit you need some help. Sending you so much love, Gentry and hope you get it all sorted out sooner than later!

Felicity | http://oliverandmoose.com

June 30, 2018 / 7:24 am

Thank you so much for your help and advice Felicity! It is so comforting that I am not alone and that you have dealt with and overcome this too. So thankful to have connected!

7. June 30, 2018 / 10:58 pm

Sounds like work is keeping you busy!! And that pink skirt is adorable!

July 1, 2018 / 9:58 pm

It definitely is keeping me VERY busy! 🙂

8. July 2, 2018 / 6:37 am

Sounds like you have been super busy! As a go-go-go girl myself, I have definitely had my share of anxiety and typically it takes me a few days to even realize what’s going on. I’ve only had the actual “attacks” about 4 times in my life and feel pretty thankful about that but when I did I had what you described…everything around me went mute, I broke out in a sweat and I also had so many black spots in my vision I was almost blinded. For me recognizing my anxiety is always the biggest step…because seriously I rarely feel like I’m overwhelmed. For me now, the anxiety has come back and I think it is more hormonal so tracking my cycles has definitely helped.

Thanks for linking up with The Blended Blog for Friday Loves!
    Shelly | The Queen in Between

July 2, 2018 / 10:02 pm

Thank you so much for your advice and support! I cannot thank you enough!