What if your timing, your life doesn’t look like everyone else’s? Girl… follow your arrow wherever it points!

Red Lace Dress: c/o Amazon (under $30!) || Clutch: Lilly Pulitzer c/o Pink Colony || Apple Watch || Nude Heels: Steve Madden || Tassel Earrings: c/o Lisi Lerch

There is a song I have always loved from Kasey Musgraves & it’s called “Follow Your Arrow”- my favorite line from the song says “follow your arrow wherever it points.” In a way, that verse has become a life motto of sorts for me, and a constant theme in my evolving perspective is that I just need to follow my arrow wherever it points!

What exactly do I mean by that?? Let me explain…

It’s no secret that my life has NOT followed the timeline that I planned out at 16. In my well laid-out map for the future I was going to graduate college at 22, meet my sweetheart there, get married by 24, have our first babies by 26 and hopefully have a small soccer field of kiddos by 30. Well, I graduated at 22 and then everything else kind of went off the rails. My college sweetheart dumped me at 27 and there are no kiddos other than the furry kind at (now) 31… and yet I couldn’t imagine my life turning out any other way!

I’m not going to rail against “society” for any of those initial pressures I felt to have a whole lot of check boxes ticked off by 30… those all came from me! And in a way (although it was heartbreaking and one of the hardest things I’ve gone through- but thats another post for another day) getting dumped was the best thing that ever happened to me! It shocked me out of my dream world (where everything went according to my plan) and forced me to lean on the one and ONLY unchanging foundation – our sweet Lord. Over the past few years as I’ve really leaned into his truths, his teachings, and his will for me I’ve seen that His plans trump any that I could possibly dream up and will always be 1000x better!

But that doesn’t always mean it’s going to be easy to swallow! Or that it’s not going to be hard to be living on a totally different “timeline” than your best friends and family… girl it 100% is going to be tough at times! And when your path looks different than every other person around you? That’s when you have to grab your country boots and start singing “follow your arrow!” 🙂 Y’all its scary to live different. It’s scary to BE different. But there is so much JOY waiting on the other side of fear… and life’s too short not to embrace the path that’s laid ahead!

Sometimes life also includes dancing to the beat of your own drum… barefoot and on the balcony 🙂

I’m dying to know what y’all think about this topic!! Do you agree with following your own arrow? Do you feel pressure to hit certain timelines or milestones? Share below!

PS- It’s always scary and a little hard to open up like this (seriously this post idea has been in my inbox FOREVER)- but I hope that if even 1 person is encouraged or feels like they are not along than I know that I’ve done right 🙂 If you need encouragement or camaraderie I would be thrilled to cheer you on and walk alongside you! Please email me at gentry.adams@gmail.com… It would be an honor to hear your story!

1. March 19, 2019 / 5:43 am

Loooovvee this so much sweet friend! I also always thought I would be married to a college sweetheart- so as life would have it I never even had a serious love interest during those years! Haha. God’s plans are always best, and I can’t wait to see how He continues to bless you this year and years to come!

xoxo A

March 19, 2019 / 9:53 pm

So thankful for your friendship and that we get to walk this life together now! His plans are the best and I know he has such special ones in the works for us 🙂

2. March 19, 2019 / 11:27 am

Such great points Gentry! I’d say 99% of the time things do not happen like we think they will or should. But, riding the wave and being happy in whatever comes our way is such a great way to live!

March 20, 2019 / 6:48 am

Riding the wave is a great way to look at it!

March 20, 2019 / 6:46 am

You won’t be disappointed- this dress is a winner and would be beautiful on you!

3. March 19, 2019 / 6:48 pm

I thought I had my whole life planned out at one point and then bam, everything changed. It was so hard to deal with at the time, but looking back now, I wouldn’t change anything because it brought me to where I am today. You need to go with the flow (or arrow)! Your dress is so pretty and I love these fun shots!

Jill – Doused in Pink

March 24, 2019 / 5:25 pm

Hi Jill! I am so glad that you have followed your arrow and it’s brought you so much joy 🙂 You are so right- it’s hard in the moment sometimes but what joy is coming!! 🙂

4. Amanda Whitfield
    March 19, 2019 / 9:44 pm

Yes!! Living and growing up in a small town, the pressures seem to be greater. A lot is society, but I also think a lot is from within. I, like you, had that same “plan.” I graduated at 22, but I’m still holding single and strong at 33! The relational disappointments and setbacks have taught me SO much about myself, life and love. God truly is the purest form of unconditional & unwavering love and has to be the foundation. I’m glad I’m not alone and thank you for sharing your heart! Keep smiling!!

March 23, 2019 / 8:35 am

Amanda, thank you so much for sharing a piece of your story! You are definitely not alone and I am so thankful we’ve connected! You are a gem and I just know god has a special plan! 💕

5. Kathy
    March 20, 2019 / 10:06 am

Yes!! Your timeline sounds a lot like mine did! Until my dad had a massive stroke when I was 20, and I stopped college (I thought temporarily) to take care of him. I ended up becoming a nanny (that’s turned into a full time job), met my husband at 22, got married at 28 and now at 32 (ps my birthday is the day after yours! 🧁) I’m not even sure I want my own kids. But I wouldn’t trade my life for anything. Is it how I thought it would turn out when I was 18, just entering college? Not a bit. It’s so much more wonderful than I could have planned!

March 24, 2019 / 5:27 pm

Happy belated birthday- YAY for march babies!! 🙂 SO so glad that following your arrow brought you to such a wonderful place in life! I so appreciate your sweet comment!

6. T Money :)
    March 21, 2019 / 9:15 am

You are awesome Gentry! I feel like my arrow pierced me few times before I decided to follow it. Life is funny, nothing we expect… and still amazing. And God does let a path be known when you’re ready to see it. Love you my friend!

March 23, 2019 / 8:37 am

Love you my friend! You are such an encourager and I’m so thankful for you!