Why I’m Choosing Financial Freedom with Financial Peace University

Today I’m sharing my “why” behind enrolling in Financial Peace University.

Bold Geometric Sundress c/o || Nude Heels || Pink Clutch c/o || Apple Watch || Turquoise Tassel Earrings

This is another post that is a few week’s in the making –  I’ve had a lot of thoughts to gather around this topic but I’m ready to spill the beans and share why I enrolled in 9 weeks of Financial Peace University. First things first, what is Financial Peace University (FPU for short)? In the simplest of terms it is a 9 week crash course in money management. It starts with tackling your debt (if you have any) savings habits and outstanding bills/loans and then teaches you how to invest correctly, plan for retirement, buy a house and lives generously. FPU is taught by Dave Ramsey and his team and is pretty famous for helping people pay of thousands of dollars in debt!

So why? Why did I enroll? Why now?

To be honest, I’m terrible with money! There, I said it! (Sorry mom & dad but it’s the truth.) Ever since I was little I’ve never had the self control to save or to wait when there was something I wanted. I’ve always been far too impulsive when it comes to shopping and like Veronica in Willy Wonka- “I want it now!” This has taken me down a rabbit hole over time, and I have just found myself wanting to get myself on financially stable ground over the past few years. I tried to do it on my own, but haven’t made nearly as much progress as I would like. I’d heard so many amazing things about the FPU program, but kept finding an excuse not to do it. I mean, I’m from the South- we don’t really talk about money so the idea of taking a 9 week course on it was totally out of my comfort zone! But at the start of 2019 my church offered the course for $35 (regularly I think it’s $75) and I just felt like the Lord was really calling me to get this part of my life in step with him. So I signed up- and here I am 8 weeks later! (I graduate from the program this coming weekend).

Truthfully, the program has been the kick in the pants I needed to get my financial life in order, and I’m so motivated to be on top of my game! After I graduate I’m going to be sharing some of the top tips/lessons I’ve learned and how I’m moving forward.

Have you participated in Financial Peace University? Is it something you’re interested in learning more about? Share below!

1. March 26, 2019 / 9:34 am

Wow, this is definitely something I need to look into, I am trying to get better with my fiances! My boyfriend listened to Dave Ramsey’s audiobook and loved it and has shared a couple of tips with me. So this is definitely something that sounds like it’s worth a try! Thanks for sharing!

April 4, 2019 / 9:28 am

I think you two would get so much out of taking the class. No matter what stage of a financial journey you are on I think there are take-ways for everyone!

2. March 26, 2019 / 11:13 am

First off LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress, Friend! So cute and fun! Second- please share more about your financial peace journey!! I’ve always been curious about doing the full course!

xoxo A

3. March 26, 2019 / 7:20 pm

You are gorgeous ! Loving that dress on you and that fabulous pink clutch !

March 27, 2019 / 9:09 am

Thank you Tammy! Amazon has had so many beautiful pieces recently!

4. March 26, 2019 / 11:40 pm

This dress is just beautiful! I love the fun colors in it. Sounds like a great program and money management is always a good thing!

April 4, 2019 / 9:27 am

It’s been such a great decision for me to take this course. I can’t wait to share what I learned and how I’m incorporating it going forward.

5. Wendy
    March 27, 2019 / 10:02 am

Do you think the more, more, more mindset of blogging contributes? I actually unfollowed all bloggers/influencers on social media, bc I felt it it was making me feel likeI NEEDED more things, things I don’t always have the $ more, and I don’t need more.

March 27, 2019 / 10:10 am

100% absolutely it contributes!! I’ve really tried to scale back my social media use for this very reason. I felt like everyone saying “YOU NEED THIS OR YOUR LIFE WON’T BE THE BEST” was making me feel like every t-shirt and skirt was necessary to my survival. And, yeah that’s definitely not true! I still love supporting other bloggers & friends of mine but I’m trying to remember my worth only comes from one place- and that’s not my closet! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

6. March 27, 2019 / 12:29 pm

Ohhh I love this!! My husband and I took this course before we got married, we are not experts but it has helped us out so much!! Still using everything we learned. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this post – and I love your dress!!!
    XO, Katie | http://www.meshkomoments.com

April 4, 2019 / 9:29 am

That is so great to hear! There is definitely a learning or two for everyone no matter what stage of life you are in. I’m still in my baby steps but have a much clearer vision for my future and how I’m going to get there now that I’ve taken the course!

7. March 29, 2019 / 1:57 am

That is amazing dear! Looking forward to your financial tips. Anyway, loving this cute dress on you! Really pretty colors.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

April 2, 2019 / 6:20 am

I can’t wait to share them!