Standing Out in a Crowd

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? Today we’re chatting about the courage it takes to stand out in a crowd.

Palm Print Dress: c/o Sailor-Sailor || Clutch: Nordstrom || Wedges: c/o Just Fab || Apple Watch

Happy Tuesday y’all! I have lots of thoughts to share with you this morning, but they are totally ramble-style (so you’ve been warned!) Sometimes my thoughts are clear and concise and sometimes they are a little all over the place. Today they are option #2 🙂

Yesterday I was in our Monday business review at work, and I started looking around the room. All my stylish co-workers were dressed in a variation of black and white (and looking so cute!), but what was your girl in? A lime green ruffle tank! Talk about standing out in a crowd. If you know me at all, then you know that this wasn’t an isolated incident- it’s basically my everyday life. ha! #YouCanAlwaysSpotMeInACrowd

Even though this is kind of a silly story, it got me thinking about fitting in vs. standing out- and really on a deeper level what it means to embrace the things that make you unique and special and YOU! For a long time, both in fashion & in my life in general, I tried to do what everyone else was doing. If it was a trend I tried to wear it, if it was a “timeline” I tried to get my life on it, if it was a promotion I tried to get it, if it was a life decision I tried to make it. And you know what that got me? Exhausted!

While I may have been “successful” to the outside world, I wasn’t successful to ME, because I wasn’t embracing the woman God created to me to be! The girl who wears brights when everyone else is in black, who probably uses a few too many smily faces in her IG captions, who’s favorite words are “Sweet” and “happy” and “joy” – and again, on a deeper level, the girl who the Lord has a unique, one-of-a-kind plan for that doesn’t look like any other. (And to be clear every single one of us has a unique and hand-picked plan for our lives!) So in this decade of life (seriously y’all 30’s are the best!) I’m embracing the unique things that make me, well me! 🙂 From being the neon-wearer in the room- I’m no longer afraid of standing out in the crowd!

So what do you think? Do you strive to fit in or thrive on standing out- in fashion and/or in life?! I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

1. April 9, 2019 / 9:30 am

I think I fit in between: I do not like to stand out too much but I am not too worried about being like everyone else either. Right now I am trying to find my happy medium as mom of 4, wife and just plain me.

April 17, 2019 / 9:34 am

Just being YOU is the absolute best thing you can be!

2. April 9, 2019 / 11:38 am

Love your message and this look! Expressing individual style and not following the crowd is what makes us unique and this is a good reminder to embrace that! The palm print is so fun and the colors are so pretty!

Jill – Doused in Pink

3. April 10, 2019 / 12:56 pm

I’m sure your gorgeous smile also makes you stand out in a crowd Gentry! I love that you are the *color queen* because your outfits always make me happy.
    I feel similarly when I’m in a workout class because I’m always wearing colorful clothes while everyone else in the class is in black on black. (Super chic, but boring in my opinion!)

April 17, 2019 / 9:35 am

Oh girl- I’m always the neon one in Zumba! Color is just more fun to workout in 🙂

4. Robin
    April 11, 2019 / 12:51 pm

This is super cute I love the colors and that clutch! It took me a couple of years to get out out of my comfort zone when it came to colors. I was that girl with black, brown, and white lol,but I started to step out of my comfort zone and I know I am attracted to so many different colors! I also hear that bright colors sets the mood and rubs off on people, so I always try to blend color in my wardrobe on a weekly!
    -Robin
    Runwayteacher.com

April 17, 2019 / 9:36 am

I’m so glad you’re learning to embrace color- and more importantly what you love and makes you feel great! 🙂

5. April 12, 2019 / 5:29 pm

SUCH great lesson to stand out in a crowd! I have been thinking a lot about this lately because I love color, but I don’t wear nearly enough. Need to take a page out of your book!

xx katie // a touch of teal

April 14, 2019 / 10:26 pm

Come join me in this colorful life! Ha!