Five Things I Learned from Not Shopping For a Month

Striped Dress: Gap (40% off with code “THANKU” || Wedges: Old Navy || Apple Watch with this band || Earrings: c/o Lisi Lerch “Izzy” || Sunglasses: c/o DIFF

Hey friends!! Earlier this month I shared that I was trying to go 30 days without shopping (for the frivolous stuff!) so now that #NoSpendApril is over I wanted to share how I did, what I learned, and more!

1. I’m not very good at it! – I guess we’ll start by cutting to the chase: did I make it a whole month without shopping? The simple answer is “no” – I did end up buying a few things throughout the month (2 purchases to be exact!). The longer answer is that I learned SO much throughout the month about what triggers me, how I can do better in making non-impulsive decisions, and what’s important to me (as far as how I want to spend my money and time). So while I may not have made it a whole 30 days, I still consider this month a win!

2. Don’t open those emails – One thing I learned is that I actually have pretty good willpower… until I open those “only on sale for the next 8 hours” or “this deal will not last” emails! I start to get all frantic and impulsive the minute I read those, so now I am trying to make an effort to delete them without opening. Out of sight, out of mind – and not out of my wallet!

3. “Free money” is never free – I’m also the queen of “oh if I spend $500 then I’ll get a $10 voucher to the Loft”… umm in what world is this good math?! You know how they say there is no such thing as free lunch? Well there is also no such thing as “free” money to shop at a store! I’m really trying to think harder through my purchases and decide if it is REALLY worth it or if I’m just trying to hit some ridiculous spending minimum.

4. Walk away before you buy – When I was really tempted to buy something this month, I put it in my “cart” and then… I walked away. If I was still thinking about it a few days later than I knew it was worth it to purchase in May. If I forgot about it? Then it would have been an impulse purchase that just sat around collecting dust! Take some time away and see if that purchase really sticks with you- if it does than #getitgirl, if not? #byeFelicia

5. I’ve got so much more than I think I do – One of the most powerful lessons I learned this month? Be GRATEFUL for what I do have. It’s probably a (much) longer post for another day, but there were several instances this month where I ran into painful situations that loved ones & friends were going through, and I feel like the Lord was showing me so clearly that when you have hardships and trials, it’s not the number of dresses in your closet that’s going to matter! It really is the people you have around you, and where your faith is, that is going to bring you to the other side of trials with a smile on your face. And if we (read: I) are finding our worth in “stuff” then we are kind of missing the point of it all.

See? Told you I learned a whole lot this month!! I am so glad I took the leap and tried this- and I definitely plan to try it again later this year. Have you tried a no shopping month? I’d love to hear what you learned too!

1. May 2, 2018 / 7:09 am

First off, I am obsessed with this dress! So gorgeous! And yes to not opening those emails, they get me every time!

May 3, 2018 / 6:03 am

It’s crazy how much they can suck you in!

2. May 2, 2018 / 7:13 am

Love this!! I’ve been trying to shop less and less recently. I haven’t done an entire month with no purchases, but I have cut my costs by about 60% monthly on clothes/shoes/purses etc and it feels so good!

Felicity | http://oliverandmoose.com

May 4, 2018 / 6:18 am

Wow that’s is awesome that you’ve cut your expenses by 60%!

3. May 2, 2018 / 7:13 am

I stopped falling for those buy more save more deals a while ago, and I definitely agree that walking away is the smartest strategy. So what if you made 2 purchases, I still think you did a great job and you learned a lot! Loving this cute striped wrap dress on you!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire

May 3, 2018 / 6:00 am

Thank you Blaire! I am excited about how much I learned !

May 3, 2018 / 6:01 am

It is definitely eye opening!

4. May 2, 2018 / 3:44 pm

Loving the ruffles on this dress! Girl you did amazing, and those emails will get you every time! <3
    Green Fashionista

5. May 2, 2018 / 10:29 pm

gratefulness is the key–but I agree it’s a hard thing to just give up–more power to you & sounds like you did a pretty good job!

Such a cute photo backdrop too/Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

May 6, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Once you read them it’s like the’ve got you hooked!

6. May 4, 2018 / 1:14 pm

Congratulations on getting through the 30 days! You would look great in a sack, so no wonder you got through it! All of the lessons learned are good ones – but the best is the last point you make – it is lovely to buy pretty clothes, that make you feel good and in turn make others feel good, but they are just passing ‘things’ and you are totally right, they are not the stuff of life – just the icing! By the way – in every photo I see the ‘sign frozen custard’ – I have never heard of that before, I bet it’s delicious!

May 6, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Thank you Joanne! Frozen custard is a type of Ice Cream- very rich & so yummy!

7. May 7, 2018 / 12:42 am

This is something I definitely need to try! Thanks for the idea dear! Anyway, you have quite a cute wrap spring dress, love the color. So pretty on you.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com